I chose to quit the strategy game commission project because it was too stressful for me. A project that size in that timeframe with my lack of passion and disinterest didn't mix well with my two jobs and need for self-time (besides, I took it on out of guilt anyways, which should never, EVER be done). The work honestly wasn't THAT bad- it was just my level of boredom and disinterest that made me take forever to complete even one little piece, maybe, 5 times longer than it would when I'm interested, which made it demanding and miserable to work on.
I feel dreadful as I'm big-time screwing over a long-time friend, but I have to take care of my own health first. The stress from the project was causing me to feel nauseous and it affected me negatively at my other jobs. The physical and mental symptoms seem very... out of proportion.... Like, I do NOT know why my body is being such a drama queen. I was even losing weight. But instead of questioning it and wondering why, I faced the reality that the only way to stop the madness it was to quit. My mind is so connected to my body it's sometimes scary...
So I guess this might be a problem I'm going to have to deal with later in life. But most importantly, I learned to stand up for myself and my health even when every argument was pulled (in a humane but heated discussion), which I'm only now learning to do. Urgh. Others may see it as running away, but I find it more responsible to admit you can't handle something before you damage yourself.
SO ANYHOW. Searching desperately for a new artist who wants $1,500, possibly more. Don't run away based on my story; I have pretty bad psychosomatic issues I need to deal with, haha! Work that needs to be done:
- Card art (20-21 cards that require a character illustration, weapon illustration, and scene illustration; card design, typography, and layout are completed- only the art is needed to plug in; plus 4 sets of these illustrations are simply variants) the backs of the cards should also be designed, but this will basically be a texture.
- Terrain art (10x10 grid-boards that players use to play on),
- 10-15 small illustrations for a short story which can be completed later on (a different time frame than the rest of the project)
- Box art (a 6-sided box; I have an idea for the box design if one wanted it)
- Game tolkens (16 front- and 4 back-designs. The illustrations made for the card art can be used for the fronts)
- 3 additional character illustrations- one for each main character (will be described by game designer)
- Digital artbook- simply a PDF containing sketches, unused art, art printed larger than on the cards, etc.)
- Game manual design- the art from all of the other parts can be used for this. The game designer will be doing all of the writing for the manual. The artist will simply design the book and insert images.
All of the templates for these designs (sizes, etc.) can be found at www.thegamecrafter.com/help/te…
; the game designer will let you know which ones to place your art on.
This is on a 3-month time frame (except the small illustrations, which can be completed within the following 3 months).